14' on track for first time - Kawasaki ZX-6R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Bike: 2013 ZX-6R (track), 2015 H2 (Hot Rod), 2013 Multi
14' on track for first time

I recently sold my 2011 10R which I used for three years as a track only bike. I then picked up a 2014 6R and immediately prepped it for track duty and just got it ready, minus race plastics, prior to the first track day locally.

I sold the 10R and picked up the 6R because I'm a middle of the pack intermediate track day rider and I wanted a smaller bike to work on my corner entry and carry the speed through the corner skills. The 10R handled quite well but it put most of it's power down in the very top of the rpm range of the motor. That upper rpm punch was very strong and at my level of ridding was just too much.

So, two weeks ago I took the 6R to Hallett motor speedway for the first time. The first thing that jumped out at me was the amount of power this bike has in the lower and midrange of the rpm range of the motor. The bike has plenty of power and it is much more usable since it is much broader across the rpm range of the motor. There's still a top end kick but not as aggressive as the 10R. The motor is truly amazing and I ended up not missing the power of the 10R. Well, not too much anyway.

Now for the handling, first understand that the suspension is not stock I sent both forks and the shock to RaceTech and had them install gold valves and re -spring to my weight. I also installed a GPR steering damper, wow does this work great, much better than the ohlins I had on the 10R. Anyway, turn in is a the verge of being two sensitive and the bike will almost continue to fall into the turn and must be regulated. In comparison the 10R with suspension upgrades required effort to hold the bike into the turn and maintain the line. Whereas the 6R had to be balanced to hold the line.

All and all I felt much quicker and had more confidence on the 6R. I obviously need to continue to work on technique and possibly make suspension adjustments to decrease the tendency for the bike to want to continue to drop and be more neutral after initial turn in.

Overall I love the bike, the motor and the handling combine to make one very fun and effective track bike.

Last edited by OKH2; 04-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 PM

Nice, write up and compare. I have an 04 10R and picked up an 05' 636 last year. I love the 10R for the brute power though I think the mid range is a beast but care just needs to be taken when applying power on corner exit. I also seem to carry a lot of corner speed with the 10R which can be problematic leaned over and pretty close to the rider in front of me, so I tend to ride an off set line, just in case I need to bleed a bit more speed if the opportunity to pass isn't there. The 636 on the other hand I feel is a neutral steering, decent power bike. It is clearly, more forgiving and lets me throw it around throwing caution to the wind without having to worry to much about it. The track season is approaching quickly and I'll be attending the Pro School up in Grattan, MI riding the 636. I just purchased an Ohlins rear for it(from a Forum member), will be getting it freshened up, and I'll probably do Ohlins springs up front as well. Hopefully, I will be able to get a couple of races in this year and will advise how things are going.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Bike: 2013 ZX-6R (track), 2015 H2 (Hot Rod), 2013 Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer0369 View Post
Nice, write up and compare. I have an 04 10R and picked up an 05' 636 last year. I love the 10R for the brute power though I think the mid range is a beast but care just needs to be taken when applying power on corner exit. I also seem to carry a lot of corner speed with the 10R which can be problematic leaned over and pretty close to the rider in front of me, so I tend to ride an off set line, just in case I need to bleed a bit more speed if the opportunity to pass isn't there. The 636 on the other hand I feel is a neutral steering, decent power bike. It is clearly, more forgiving and lets me throw it around throwing caution to the wind without having to worry to much about it. The track season is approaching quickly and I'll be attending the Pro School up in Grattan, MI riding the 636. I just purchased an Ohlins rear for it(from a Forum member), will be getting it freshened up, and I'll probably do Ohlins springs up front as well. Hopefully, I will be able to get a couple of races in this year and will advise how things are going.
Shock will definitely make a difference, Enjoy!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 PM

Pics Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-6R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode