2001 zx6r major exhaust leak help please - Kawasaki ZX-6R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

2001 zx6r major exhaust leak help please

Hello my name is Rob and I just bought a 01 zx6r for very cheap knowing it needed repairs. Previous owner was not mechanically gifted and could not get it to start because he parked it 4 years ago drained the fuel and never touched it since. So I bought it not running taking a chance. He apparently took the gas tank and air box off to try and see why it wouldn't start but he never assembled the parts back securely nor correctly. So when I got it home I put fuel in it got the fuel pump to fill the carbs bowls by holding the start button while in gear. Then put into neutral and it fired up. Ran with a miss and made lots of noises. Too tank back off found cyl#2 coil popped up a tiny bit. Removed coil and found there was no spark plug in the cyl at all. Installed a plug and put back together. Fired up ran somewhat smooth and decent but developed a MAJOR exhaust leak very fast. Removed fairings to access exhaust manifolds better and found the exhaust leak coming from a hole in the cylinder head just below cyl#3 exhaust port/flange. This hole is supposed to be there and not a crack or modification by anyone. Did some research and found that the hole is for the spark plug tubes.. If the rocker cover tube seals were to fail and leak oil into the tubes the oil would be able to drain out. There is only 1 hole and its under cyl#3 exhaust port. I covered this hole with a plug while bike was idling and it changed the volume and pitch of the exhaust leak. I don't understand how I have exhaust pressure or compression / combustion pressure coming out of it. Has anyone ever heard or experienced this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-6R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode